What we are currently working on...
Housing Rehabilitation Program
The Town of Ayer’s Housing Rehabilitation Program is grant funded and is designed to provide funding assistance for income-eligible owners to improve their property. In most cases, the funds do not need to be paid back unless the property is sold or transferred within fifteen (15) years of project completion. Grant regulations require certain items be addressed first (i.e., building and sanitary code compliance, lead abatement, serious maintenance problems, etc.). Local Program staff is in place to help identify the work to be done, secure the contractor, and inspect the work to ensure quality. Please contact Housing Program Coordinator Sue Provencher at 978-772-8221 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sign & Facade Program
The Downtown Sign and Façade Program provides deferred payment loans for storefront improvements for Ayer's Downtown Target Area. The program offers these loans for facade restoration or sign improvements for buildings in the downtown target area.
The Department is currently spending down the remaining monies from its last funded CDBG request; one fayade and one housing rehab project are scheduled to be completed by June 30, 2009.
The Sign and Facade program was not part of our 2009 CDBG application, but we are exploring other opportunities for funding projects of this type. If you are interested in sign and/or facade improvements for your Ayer business, please contact Margaret Scarsdale, Grants Administrator, at 978-772-8221 or email@example.com.
Other CD Projects
Community Development is also working on several other projects, including:
- Obtaining stimulus money available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
- Achieving the milestones necessary to have Ayer assigned a "Green Community" status; this designation gives Ayer access to a variety of grant funds concerned with energy reduction and alternative/renewable energy projects
- Completion of the FY09 CDBG CDF II grant application. The Department is seeking to secure grant funding for infrastructure improvements at The Apartments at Pleasant Street School, a 21-unit housing development for low income seniors and to continue Ayer's Housing Rehabilitation Program
- Issuance of an RFQ for an energy services company (ESCO) to help the Town achieve carbon reduction targets and lower energy costs
- Participation in the Ayer/Shirley Local, a grassroots organization that works to raise awareness of sustainability issues, reduce energy consumption, and promote local food and local economy in order to build a resilient community that is sustainable for future generations (www.ayerlocal.org)
The Department of Planning and Development welcomes your ideas and suggestions for enriching Ayer's community: contact us at 978-772-8221.
The Community Development Division of the Department of Planning & Development is responsible for a number of government funded programs, including housing rehabilitation, downtown sign and facade rehabilitation, planning for particular special projects, and infrastructure improvements.