Due to the PFAS contamination of Ayer’s water supplies, the Ayer Board of Selectmen have declared a State of Water Supply Conservation, in accordance with the Town Water Use Restriction Regulation. Under the State of Water Supply Conservation, Restriction 5f. - Outdoor Water Use Ban has been implemented. This Water Ban is necessary to reduce the water demand and allow us to minimize the use of the contaminated wells until the new treatment system is on-line later this year.
Outdoor Water Use Ban: Outdoor water uses are controlled as follows:
- Watering with hand hose (no sprinklers or irrigation systems) allowed on odd / even day schedule
- Watering with water can
- No outdoor use between 9 AM and 5 PM
- All other outdoor watering shall be prohibited
Use of outdoor water sprinklers and irrigation for establishing new lawns and landscaping and/or special situations will be allowed with written permission from the Ayer Department of Public Works.
Enforcement of the Outdoor Water Use Ban is as follows:
- 1st Violation – Written Warning
- 2nd Violation - $50.00 fine
- 3rd Violation - $200.00 fine
- 4th Violation - $300.00 fine and reduction in water availability to allow for basic water needs
All Town employees are the enforcement agents authorized to implement the water ban. Please contact the D.P.W. office at 978-772-8240 if you have any questions regarding the water ban.
Thank you for your cooperation.