TOWN OF AYER - IMPORTANT PUBLIC NOTIFICATION
Issued March 14, 2020
Updated by the Ayer Board of Selectmen on March 17, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager’s Office on March 20, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager’s Office on March 24, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager's Office on March 30, 2020
Updated by the Board of Selectmen on April 8, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager's Office on April 28, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager's Office on May 6, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager's Office on May 18, 2020
Updated by the Town Manager's Office on May 26, 2020
Updsted by the Town Manager's Office on July 6, 2020
Town of Ayer COVID-19 Update
The Town of Ayer, through its Ayer Board of Selectmen and Public Safety and Public Health Professionals, is taking a number of proactive steps out of an overabundance of caution to limit the spread of COVID-19, the illness associated with the novel coronavirus, which the World Health Organization declared to be a global pandemic and prompted President Trump to declare a national emergency on March 13, 2020.
Town of Ayer Departments have put the following measures in place:
- Ayer Town Hall and Town are closed to the public until further notice.
- The Ayer Dog Park (Snake Hill Road) is open with appropriate social distancing measures in place; please see guidance hanging on gate at the Dog Park.
- The Parks Department will be reopening Pirone Park and some areas of the grass section of Sandy Pond Beach on May 26, in accordance with the reopening plan put forth by the Governor. This will be a conditional reopening with the following requirements in place until further notice: social distancing required (includes individual spacing of at least 6’ and groups no larger than ten people); facemasks are recommended; bathrooms will remain closed indefinitely; swimming will not be permitted at Sandy Pond Beach until it officially reopens for the swim season; the playground, basketball and volleyball courts will remain closed at Sandy Pond Beach and picnic tables will be removed from use. Fields at Pirone Park may be reserved by submitting a facility use form (available on the Parks Dept. webpage).
- All Town Hall Offices will be staffed during this public closure during normal hours of operation and are available via telephone and/or email to assist the public. For a directory of contacts please go to the Town’s website at ayer.ma.us and click “Departments” on the dark blue ribbon.
- There is a secure white drop box at the Columbia Street side entrance of Town Hall, where documents/plans can be dropped. Directly across from the white box, there is a secure silver drop box for Tax Payments.
- Town Boards, Committees and Commissions have been meeting using remote participation. These meetings are conducted remotely with public participation in accordance with the Governor’s Emergency Order related to the Open Meeting Law.
- The public may make payments to the Town of Ayer by use any of the options below:
- Mail Ayer Town Hall, 1 Main Street Ayer, MA 01432
- Online www.ayer.ma.us/pay
- Outside Town Hall There is a secure Drop Box located outside the Columbia Street Entrance of the Town Hall. At this time, all payments and/or Town related documents may be placed in this secure drop box.
Payments for the following can be made by any of the methods listed above: Excise, Personal Property & Real Estate Taxes; Water and Sewer Payments; Transfer Station Stickers; Road and Trench Opening Permits; Vital Records and Dog Licenses; Parks Programs; Municipal Liens; Building, Electric, Gas and Plumbing Permits.
- Ayer Fire Department 978-772-8231 (non-emergency)
The building is closed to the public until further notice. Emergency services will continue without any interruption or change. For information on training classes and inspections please call the non-emergency line or email [email protected].
- Ayer Police Department 978-772-8200 (non-emergency)
The Ayer Police Department remains open. Emergency services will continue without any interruption or change.
- Department of Public Works 978-772-8240
The Ayer DPW will remain fully staffed and will respond to public requests and emergencies as needed. The Ayer Transfer Station will remain open during normal hours of operation.
For DPW business issues you can:
Call Ayer DPW at 978-772-8240
Email Ayer DPW at [email protected]
Mail Payments & applications to DPW, 25 Brook St, Ayer
Online Payments www.ayer.ma.us/pay
Outside Town Hall There is a secure Drop Box located outside the Columbia Street Entrance of the Town Hall.At this time, all payments and/or Town related documents may be placed in this secure drop box.
- Ayer Transfer Station 978-772-8240
The Transfer Station will remain open during normal hours of operation. When entering the Transfer Station, the Town requests that residents adhere to recommended COVID-19 preventative measures including social distancing and wearing masks. In an effort to reduce crowds and maintain 6 feet of separation, avoid peak periods and minimize your time at the Transfer Station. The swap shed will remain closed until further notice.
- Council on Aging 978-772-8260The Ayer Council on Aging will be closed to the public. The COA van service will continue to provide transportation for essential services only (medical appointments, grocery shopping, pharmacies, etc.) COA Staff will be available via phone at 978-772-8260, Monday through Friday during normal hours of operation to assist Seniors.
- Public Library 978-772-8250
The Library building is closed, and library book drops are locked. Please keep all borrowed materials at home; loan periods have been extended and no late fees will be charged until further notice. Library staff are checking voicemail, email, and social media on a daily basis to answer questions and assist with access to the Library’s online collections of eBooks, digital magazines, and other resources. The Library’s public WiFi network remains on twenty four hours a day and seven days a week and can be accessed from the Library’s parking lot. Links to helpful resources will be posted periodically on the Library’s website - https://ayerlibrary.org – and on the Library’s Facebook page.
- Town Clerk’s Office 978-772-8215
- Dog Licenses can still be obtained by paying online and by mail as described here
- Birth, Death and Marriage certificates can be obtained by paying online and by mail as described here
- Marriage licenses, for those looking to get married within the next 60 days, can contact the Clerk’s Office by phone or by e-mail to request an appointment.
- For additional information about the Governor’s Four-Phase Approach to reopening the Commonwealth, please visit mass.gov/reopening
- In conjunction with Governor Baker’s March 23 Emergency Order, the Department of Public Health has issued an advisory for state residents “to stay home and limit all unnecessary activities.”
- Effective May 6, 2020, Governor Baker has issued an Order that any person over the age of two who is in a public space in Massachusetts, whether indoor or outdoor and is unable to maintain social distancing of six feet, is required to cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face covering, except if the person is unable to do so due to a medical condition. This requirement applies to all workers and customers of businesses and other organization open to the public such as grocery stores and pharmacies. Violation of this Order may result in a civil fine of up to $300. For more information please visit: mass.gov/coveryourface
- This Public Notification will be updated as information, events, and/or circumstances warrant. Please do not hesitate to contact the BOS/Town Manager’s Office at 978-772-8220 or [email protected] or [email protected] for any questions about this Public Notification.
- The Town of Ayer continues to make decisions in consultation with the guidance issued from the Center for Disease Control, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and our Professional Public Safety and Public Health Personnel. These decisions are in the best interests of the public safety and public health of all Ayer Residents during this unprecedented time.