Ayer Transfer Station: Materials Not Accepted

The following cannot be recycled at the Transfer Station:

  • Aerosol cans
  • Latex paint: dry out the paint left in the can and then throw the can and the lid in the trash
  • Plastic bags: most grocery stores will take these.
  • Styrofoam packing peanuts: Many UPS stores will take these.
  • Sharps (syringes): The Nashoba Associated Boards of Health has established a program for the proper disposal of syringes (sharps). Sharps containers are on sale at the Nashoba Boards of Health office, 30 Central Street, in Ayer for $5 each (made payable to the Nashoba Associated Boards of Health) during normal business hours of M-F 9am-4pm. Sharps can only be accepted in approved containers.
  • construction/demolition debris (take to Devens Recycling Center 978-772-6500)

To find locations to recycle other materials that are not taken at the Transfer Station, contact Earth911.

Also, remember, one person's trash is another person's treasure. Give away your goods on On Ayer's listserve or Groton Freestuff.

Household Hazardpis Waste (HHW) Collection

Town residents and small businesses now have 20 opportunities per year to properly dispose of household hazardous waste, such as cleaners, pesticides, fertilizers, paint, auto fluids, etc. The Devens Regional Household Hazardous Products Collections Center is open March to December from 9AM to noon on the first Wednesday and following Saturday. The Center is located behind 9 Cook Street at the Devens Department of Public Works Facility off of Buena Vista Street. See Devens HHW for information on upcoming collections.

  • Do not bring latex paint. Latex paint should be disposed of by drying out the paint that is left in the can and throwing the can in the trash.
  • There is a fee to recycle at HHW collection events. Please note what it is and bring cash or check.

Compost Bins

The Recycling Committee sells the Earth Machine, an outdoor compost bins for $45. Contact Laurie Sabol (978-496-5839) to buy one. For more information about composting, visit Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.