Filing a Business Certificate
(Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 110, Section 5)
WHO MUST FILE?
- Any person or persons conducting a business under any title other than the complete real name of the owner
- Any corporation doing business in a name other than the corporate name
WHERE DOES ONE FILE?
- With the City or Town Clerk in every city or town where an office of any such business is located
WHAT ABOUT A CHANGE?
- Upon discontinuing, retiring or withdrawing from such business or in the case of a change of residence of such person or location of such business, such change must be filed with the clerk's office
DOES A BUSINESS CERTIFICATE EXPIRE?
- Yes, a business certificate is in effect for four (4) years from the date of issue whereupon it must be renewed if the business continues to operate
DO I HAVE TO DISPLAY THE CERTIFICATE?
- No, however, a copy must be provided upon request during regular business hours to any person purchasing goods or services from such business
Business Certificate Filing (includes one certified copy).............................. $30.00
Withdrawals, Discontinuances, Changes (includes one certified copy)........ $ 5.00
Violations of these provisions shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred dollars ($300.00) for each month during which such violation continues.
HOW TO OBTAIN A CERTIFICATE
All persons to be named on the certificate must be present to sign the certificate which is then certified