On Monday, April 22, 2019 Ayer Voters will be presented with a Capital Exclusion Ballot Question for the purposes of purchasing a $650,000 fire engine to replace Ayer Fire Engine #2. The Ballot Question is at the bottom of the Annual Town Election Ballot and reads:
Shall the Town of Ayer be allowed to assess an additional $650,000 in real estate and personal property taxes for the purposes of purchasing a fire engine for the fiscal year beginning July first, two thousand and nineteen?
What does your vote mean?:
- A “Yes” Vote will authorize the Town of Ayer to assess an additional $650,000 in real estate and personal property taxes ONE time.
- A “No” Vote will NOT authorize the Town of Ayer to assess an additional $650,000 in real estate and personal property taxes.
If the Ballot Question PASSES the Ballot on April 22, 2019 then it will also need to PASS at Town Meeting on May, 13, 2019.
What is the cost impact to the taxpayer for the Capital Exclusion?:
The estimated ONE time tax rate impact as provided by the Ayer Board of Assessors is as follows and is based on the FY 2019 average single family valuation of $332,600 and FY 2019 average median commercial/industrial valuation of $274,400 as follows:
- Average/estimated ONE time Residential Tax Bill Increase: $126
- Average/estimated ONE time Commercial/Industrial Tax Bill Increase: $223
Facts about a Capital Exclusion:
- A Capital Exclusion is NOT a Proposition 2 ½ Override.
- A Capital Exclusion is NOT a permanent increase to the tax rate.
- A Capital Exclusion allows the Town to raise $650,000 from the property taxes ONE TIME to purchase the Fire Engine and then that increase of $650,000 comes off of the tax assessment.
Why does the Town need to replace Fire Engine #2:
- Please go to the following link of the Fire Chief’s March 19, 2019 Presentation to the Ayer Board of Selectmen.
- Please see the video of the Fire Chief and Town Manager here.
For more information or questions regarding the April 22, 2019 Capital Exclusion Ballot Question, please do not hesitate to contact the Ayer Town Manager’s Office at 978-772-8220 or at email@example.com