With the increased use of disinfectant wipes and paper cleaning products, the Ayer DPW wants to remind everyone that these items SHOULD NOT be flushed down the toilet. Our sewer system is designed to handle water, human waste and tissue paper only. Other products will damage the sewage pumps and clog the pipes.
Examples of what should not be flushed down toilets or poured down drains are as follows:
- Cloth rags or towels
- Disinfecting wipes, baby wipes, toilet wipes, towelettes, or cloth wipes of any kind (even if the container indicates that they are “flushable”)
- Paper (other than toilet paper/tissue)
- Medications (Prescription, or over-the-counter. Medication and Sharps disposal container available at the Ayer Police Station)
- Feminine hygiene products of any kind
- Beauty products, Q-Tips, dental floss
- Plastics of any kind
- Grease of any kind – especially cooking grease
- Garden supplies (such as pesticides, fertilizers)\
- Paint, varnish, paint remover
- Motor oil, gasoline, or any explosive material
Remember...only water, human waste and tissue paper should be flushed down toilets. Clogged pumps lead to sewer backups which can back up into homes and are expensive to clean and repair. This cost is borne by you - the sewer rate payer.
Please share this information with all members of your household.
If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact Mark Wetzel, Superintendent of Public Works – firstname.lastname@example.org 978-772-8240.