Voter Enrollment Information


When you register to vote, you may choose to enroll in a political party or political designation or may choose to remain “unenrolled,” which is commonly referred to as independent.

Choosing to Enroll in a Political Party

There are four political parties in Massachusetts:

  • Democratic Party (D), (617) 776-2676
  • Republican Party (R), (617) 523-5005
  • Green-Rainbow (J), (413) 650-6542
  • United Independent Party (CC), (617) 2UNITED

If you enroll in any of these four parties you may vote only in that party’s primary. Enrollment in a political party does not affect your right to vote in the general election. In the general election, all voters receive the same ballot and vote for the candidate of their choice, regardless of party enrollment.

Choosing No Enrollment in a Political Party

If you do not wish to enroll in a party, check the box next to “No Party (unenrolled)” on the voter registration form.

If you do not enroll in a party, you may still vote in state and presidential primaries by choosing a party ballot and will remain unenrolled, which is commonly referred to as “independent.”

Choosing to Enroll in a Political Designation: In addition to the four political parties listed above, there are certain legal political designations in which you can enroll. Currently these are:

  • Conservative Party (A)
  • Natural Law Party (B)
  • New World Council (C)
  • Reform Party (E)
  • Rainbow Coalition (F)
  • Green Party USA (G)
  • We the People (H)
  • Constitution Party (K)
  • Libertarian Party (L)
  • Timesizing Not Downsizing (M)
  • New Alliance Party (N)
  • Massachusetts Independent Party (O)
  • Prohibition Party (P)
  • American Independent Party (Q)
  • Socialist (S)
  • Interdependent 3rd Party (T)
  • America First Party (V)
  • Veterans Party America (W)
  • Pirate (X)
  • World Citizens Party (Y)
  • Working Families (Z)
  • Pizza Party (AA)
  • American Term Limits (BB)
  • Twelve Visions Party (DD)

If you enroll in any political designation you may vote in the state or presidential primary of your choice.

Change Party Enrollment or Political Designation

Once you make an enrollment choice, you may change your enrollment status by notifying your election official in writing at least 20 days before a primary or election.

William Francis Galvin, Secretary of the Commonwealth
Elections Division, One Ashburton Place
Room 1705, Boston, MA 02108
(617) 727-2828 or (800) 462-VOTE
Revised 1/2015